OTHER PREPARATIONS FOR GETTING
(ALL THE SUPPORT ITEMS YOU MAY NEED FOR YOUR TRIP)
For the traveler leaving a home, there are a few security details
that should be taken to make the house looked lived in.
If other little "creatures" live with you, arrangements might still need to be made for them, as well as with
someone for any home emergencies.
- arrange for lawn care, if you don't
already have a regular service doing this. Letting your grass grow excessively is a "welcome"
sign to thieves letting them know that you are gone.
- leave lights on for the hours you
would normally use them; get a timer or two and set the lights to come on during these hours.
Any light you normally leave on all night (like a light over the stove): leave it on.
Try to simulate your routine.
- Do you plan for:
Suspend Delivery -
you can put your
mail on hold online (convenient!) with USPS
Premium Forwarding Service
- (a domestic
service for residential customers). For modest fees, your mail can be shipped to
your temporary location on a weekly basis.
(repeated from " Childcare, Pet Care & Pet Misc.)
- Arrange with friend, relative or neighbor to either:
- keep the pet(s) with them
- go to the house on a regular basis to care for them
- Find a Petsitter - See SitterCity to find a petsitter or care taker:
(this ad is enormous, but irresistible)
next page: Luggage, Bags, Packing Tips